Shopping by bike is a great way for people to have fun and get a little exercise while taking care of daily or weekly errands. Unlike most work commutes, most errands are local trips of under 2 miles. That’s less than 15 minutes of bicycling for most people and about the same amount of time as driving when accounting for traffic and the dreaded parking battle. Other benefits of running errands by bicycle include:
- Shopping by bike is an easy way to get the 30 minutes a day of exercise that health professionals recommend. Plus you’re “double dipping” by using errand time for exercise,
- Bike parking is usually closer to the shop door and free (it’s great to roll up to premium parking!),
- Since you buy only what you can carry, there’s less temptation to buy more than you need,
- Many bike shoppers come home feeling energized instead of feeling drained, especially after a long chain of errands,
- By making the choice to bike you are personally reducing traffic congestion and emissions related to vehicle travel,
- Reducing your personal greenhouse gas footprint!
Shoppers that arrive by bike are great for local businesses. Where parking is limited, having people arrive by bike means more customers with fewer parking spaces as well as less street congestion. Customers that shop by bike are more loyal. They shop at businesses closer to home, shop more frequently and do less shopping around for the best deal. For many shoppers, pedaling to another city to save a buck isn’t worth it.